Over the past half century, the help available to students with special needs has made tremendous strides. Today, the government has taken steps to assure that all students, regardless of disabilities, will be able to receive the education that they deserve.
Children with special needs are now able to receive accommodations to assist them in getting a proper education. The accommodations can range from simple items such as receiving extra time to complete a test to ensuring that the student has adequate access to the classroom. All of these are due to the 1973 Federal Rehabilitation Act which prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities.
The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 made it illegal for people to be discriminated against, just because of a disability. The Act also mandated that buildings be accessible to those with physical handicaps as well as other commonly used facilities. The Act had four major sections covering areas such as employment, civil rights and technology for people with disabilities.
Young people with disabilities now have opportunities to attend post-secondary education institutions. They are allowed to be students studying a wide range of subjects, without limitation or discrimination. Colleges and universities, like elementary and secondary schools, need to legally follow the mandates of Section 504.
We have compiled a collection of resources for students with disabilities for your reference:
- American with Disabilities Act Website
- Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Amendments to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Compliance to the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- A Guide to Disability Rights Law
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Information on Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Protecting Students with Disabilities
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Overview of Section 504
- Center for Children with Disabilities
- Discussion Brief of Section 504
- Section 508 Standards for Technology
- Electronic & Information Technology in Section 508
- Civil Rights Under Section 508
- Overview of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973
- Guide to Financial Aid for Students with Disabilities
- Information for Students with Disabilities
- College Students with Disabilities Handbook
- Preparing Students for College
- College Students with Disabilities
- A Guide to College for Students with Disabilities
- Disability Friendly Colleges
If you find this article useful, please free feel to link or reuse it. All we ask is for a credit back to our site.