Hospital Beds

Spring support, side rails, and adjustable head/footrests are just a few of the features that can make a hospital bed (also referred to as a medical bed) an ideal option for anyone who’ll be off of their feet for an extended period of time. Standard beds are simply insufficient in cases of long-term immobility, but fortunately, you can take advantage of the utility and support offered by hospital beds in the comfort of your own home.

At 1800wheelchair, we offer the best hospital beds from the top brands -- you'll find Hill-Rom, Medline, Invacare and more. Order online or give us a call at 1-800-320-7140, our phone agents are standing by to answer any questions you may have.

Remember, orders over $59 qualify for free shipping!

Home Hospital Beds: Custom Comfort For Immobile Patients

When you’re recovering from extensive surgery or caring for an immobile loved one, a standard bed won’t provide the support and and safety required. In cases of long-term immobility, hospital beds for home use are much more beneficial. The FDA estimates that nearly 2.5 million hospital beds are in use throughout the U.S., for several good reasons: a home hospital bed will provide superior comfort, customized features, and important health and safety advantages for bedridden patients.

Are Electric Hospital Beds Covered by Medicare?

Under certain circumstances, yes. Medicare Part B will cover home hospital beds that meet the criteria for durable medical equipment (DME), so long as a doctor has prescribed these medical devices for in-home use. Medicare usually pays 80% of the “approved” amount for the rental, but only after the patient meets the annual Part B $135 deductible. Patients are responsible for the remaining 20%, which can be paid through private health insurance, a Medigap policy, or out-of-pocket. Please note: 1800wheelchair does not bill Medicare, Medicaid or private insurance directly.

How Do Medical Beds Differ From Standard Beds?

  • They’re mobile: Most hospital beds for sale are equipped with wheels, which provide much more flexibility for both caretaker and patient. The bed can easily be moved to different locations within a room or within a building, enabling a patient to receive treatment without physical difficulty or unnecessary wheelchair transfer. These wheels are also lockable for patient safety during use or transfer.
  • They’re adjustable: Manual, semi-electric, and fully electric hospital beds are able to be adjusted for the patient’s comfort and care. They can be raised or lowered in height at specific points such as the head or feet. Changing the height of a hospital bed makes it easier for patients to get in and out of bed more comfortably, and it may also help medical staff administer treatments. For instance, simply raising a patient’s head can ease breathing problems or aid with feedings; raising the feet can help with movement or may provide physical relief for certain painful medical conditions.
  • They’re safe: Many hospital beds for sale come equipped with features like side rails, which can also be raised or lowered. They may help a patient to simply feel more secure, but they also offer important protection by preventing falls. This is especially beneficial if a bedridden patient is also suffering from a memory disorder and cannot always remember their physical limitations. In hospital settings, some side rails may also include call buttons, allowing patients to summon for help. Other medical beds may come with an exit alarm, which will alert caretakers in the event that a patient has fallen or wandered off. Rather than relying on the patient to call for assistance, these alarms automatically sense when the weight of the patient is removed.

Hospital beds are one of the most important medical devices of the 20th century. While most people wouldn’t think of hospital beds as a groundbreaking invention, these devices have emerged as some of the most useful and common items in healthcare settings. The first 3-segment, adjustable hospital beds were invented in the early 20th century by the Indiana surgeon Dr. Willis Dew Gatch. While early “Gatch beds” were adjusted via a hand crank, most modern hospital beds for sale are electric.

Hospital beds are clearly the superior choice for immobile patients being cared for in a home environment. They provide the customization and comfort that patients need and the flexibility and safety features caretakers want. We offer a wide array of hospital beds for sale from the industry’s top brands, which means there’s sure to be a hospital bed to fit your specific needs. To find out more about our selection of medical beds, contact us today.