Physical therapy is a discipline that focuses on helping people develop strength and regain function of the limbs and muscles of their bodies. A patient’s need for physical therapy evolves from factors such as an injury, debilitating illness, or advancing age. Physical therapists work with patients in many settings as a form of rehabilitation. Also known as physiotherapy, physical therapy is employed in several environments, including hospitals, nursing homes, and private offices. The goal of physical therapy is to establish or maintain function for people who have lost some abilities, and thereby improve their quality of life.
Background and History
- APTA – History: A timeline of the history of physical therapy.
- The Newsletter of Denver Children’s Hospital: A detailed article about the development of physical therapy for children.
Education and Training
- United States Department of Labor: The statistics and educational requirements for physical therapists.
- Florida Health Education Center: A brief description of the background and role of a physical therapist.
- The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy: The national site listing details for licensing as a physical therapist.
- Intute: A list of Internet resources for physiotherapy.
Types of Physical Therapy
- National Pain Foundation: Information about using physical therapy for pain control.
- Better Health: An article outlining several types of physical therapy.
- Physiotherapy Works: A listing of different types of therapy and their common use.
- National Center on Physical Activity and Disability: An explanation of aquatic physical therapy.
Forums and Mailing Lists
- PhysicalTherapist.com: A site for news and discussion for physical therapists.
- Physioforum: An online community for physical therapists.
Medical Sites and Medical Journals
- The American Physical Therapy Association: A professional organization for physical therapists.
- Journal of the American Physical Therapy Association: The online journal for topics related to physical therapy.
- National Athletic Trainers Association: Institution for physical therapists and those who work in sports.
- Physical Therapy Research: A site that contains links to recent research studies in the field of physical therapy.
- The Kessler Foundation: The homepage for the organization dedicated to research for disability and physical therapy care.
- My Physical Therapy Space: A listing of jobs and other items needed for physical therapy practice.
- U.S. Physical Therapy: The website for a large-scale operator of physical therapy clinics nationwide.
- The World Confederation for Physical Therapy: A site offering multiple resources for physical therapists.
If you find this article useful, please free feel to link or reuse it. All we ask is for a credit back to our site.