1. What is a Transport Wheelchair?
A transport wheelchair is a wheelchair that is pushed by a companion, it has smaller wheels than a standard wheelchair and it is lighter in total weight. Making it super easy for traveling and lifting into a car.
2. What are a Transport Wheelchairs best uses?
A transport chair is primarily used for short trips to the doctor, the mall, or a restaurant
3. What to look for when buying a transport chair?
The two most important things are:
- Chair weight: the lighter the chair the easier it is to push and to lift into a car – some models are as light at 15 lbs.
- Size: Choosing the correct seat size
4. How do I choose the correct size?
Transport chairs come in 3 Sizes:
- Narrow – a 17” wide seat – for users under 120 lbs.
- Medium – a 19” wide seat – for users between 120 and 300 lbs.
- Wide – a 22” wide seat or wider – for users over 300 lbs.
5. Are Transport Wheelchairs foldable?
Yes, all transport wheelchairs fold to a size of 2.5 feet by 9 inches wide – compact enough to fit into any car!
6. Are Transport Wheelchairs comfortable?
When sitting in your transport wheelchair for more than two hours a day, we recommend you sit on a wheelchair cushion and back cushion to increase your comfort.
7. Are Transport Wheelchairs delivered assembled?
Yes! All transport wheelchairs are delivered assembled. No tools needed. All you need to do is take it out of the box and you are ready to go.
8. Do the legrests remove?
Yes, all transport chairs come with removable legrests, that hook on and hook off.
9. What else should we look for when buying a Transport Wheelchair?
- All transport wheelchairs have foot locking brakes on the rear wheels, some models come with bicycle-style handbrakes instead
- Most armrests on transport chairs are fixed, some transport chairs have removable armrests making it easier to transport in and out of the chair
- Most transport wheelchair come with a seat belt, if you need additional safety see our safety and fall prevention products
- For extra comfort we recommend buying a wheelchair seat cushion and back cushion
- Accessories such as bags and cup holders are super useful
10. Which Transport Wheelchairs do we recommend?
Here are three chairs we recommend: Good, Better and Best
- Good – The Steel Transport Chair this chair will do the job, it’s economical, but slightly heavy for lifting, weighing 25 lbs.
- Better – The Excel Freedom Transport Chair it weighs only 15 lbs. – its one of the lightest chairs we sell
- Best- The Karmen S-115 Ergo Transport Wheelchair is light plus it has ergonomic seating for great comfort and style