Bariatric wheelchairs have all the features of standard manual wheelchairs, from maneuverability to swing-away footrests, with the additional benefit of being strong enough to seat any user. These wheelchairs, designed with reinforced cross-braces and sturdy steel frames, can easily handle the extra weight.
A heavy-duty wheelchair is ideal for anyone looking for a comfortable option that provides extra support without flexing or buckling. Important features at the top of the list include seat width and height, seat-to-floor height, wheelchair weight, and maximum capacity. To help you find the sturdiest option out there, check out our picks for the best bariatric wheelchairs currently available, listed below:
- Invacare 9000 Topaz Heavy Duty Wheelchair(The Strongest Heavy-Duty Wheelchair)
- Sunrise Medical Quickie M6 Heavy Duty Wheelchair(The Most Customizable Heavy-Duty Wheelchair)
- Medline Excel Extra Wide Manual Wheelchair(The Most Economical Heavy-Duty Wheelchair)
Invacare 9000 Topaz Heavy Duty Wheelchair
The Topaz is the ultimate heavy-duty wheelchair with a maximum weight capacity of 1000 lbs! Its superior solid build comprises of a triple chrome-plated carbon steel frame, dual cross braces, and caster journals. With such support, it also boasts increased stability and maneuverability so that you can move safely and securely. With customizable seat options, this heavy-duty wheelchair caters to a variety of users, accommodating their growing needs.
- Weight capacity from 700 lbs – 1000 lbs
- Adjustable seat-to-floor height from 15.5 to 19.5 inches
- Customizable seat from 20 to 30 inches
- Wheelchair weight 85 lbs
- Foldable to a width of 15 inches
Sunrise Medical Quickie M6 Heavy Duty Wheelchair
The Quickie M6 gives you all the customization you could ever ask for in a heavy-duty wheelchair. This wheelchair is fitted to its user with interchangeable frame components that let you specify a range of features like seat dimensions, backrests, armrests, positioning belts, tire types, wheel locks, hangers, footplates, and much more. Its solid modular steel frame and strengthening double cross brace allow the Quickie M6 to support up to 650 lbs with minimum buckling.
- Highly customizable
- Interchangeable frame components
- Folding frame to a width of 18 inches
- Multiple footplates
- Lockout Stabilizer bars and cross braces reduce chair flex
Medline Excel Extra Wide Manual Wheelchair
Bariatric wheelchairs can be expensive, which is why the Excel Extra-Wide is a welcomed choice. Thankfully its affordability does not skim its strength. With a chrome-plated carbon steel frame, this heavy-duty wheelchair can support up to 500 lbs. This chair is comfortable, sturdy, and agile, with seat options ranging from 20 to 24 inches and tough embossed upholstery.
- Delivered fully assembled
- Seat-to-floor height of 20 inches
- Die-cast aluminum footplates
- Wheelchair weight ranges from 41 to 58 lbs.
- Lightweight composite wheels
Bariatric wheelchairs are essential mobility tools that provide strength, accessibility, and comfort. The three mentioned here offer all this and more, making them the ideal choice for anyone looking for that extra support as they move easily and securely.